Spent some time today bringing this site up to the latest WordPress 4.5.1 – easy deployment sync in Azure for this Project Nami based installation.
I also tried a few plugins unsuccessfully.
- UpdraftPlus – backups site files, themes, contents just fine (to Dropbox), but failed on backing up the database (can understand this).
- Wordfence – couldn’t get it to automatically load its free API. Word is to basically this is not even supported on Windows/IIS.
The next work entailed moving to a multi-site WordPress setup.
Steps (Webmatrix makes this easy):
- Edit your wp-config.php and add:
/* Multisite */ define('MULTISITE', true);
- Log back in to your site and hit the add a Network wizard.
If you encounter an issue where your WP states you must use sub-domains (not possible on a free Azure site) you can use this great trick (assuming you’re OK with the possible issues):
Add this to the functions.php of your current theme:
add_filter( 'allow_subdirectory_install', create_function( '', 'return true;' ) );
- Refresh your Network wizard page and you’ll get the option to use sub-directories.
- Complete the wizard and follow its remaining steps.