Site Update for May 2017

Just a quick site update…

This site is running WordPress 4.7.4 (in multi-site mode) based on Project Nami (1.5.7).

I have the following plugins enabled and successfully functioning (except for database backups with UpdraftPlus – understandable).

The latest couple that I’ve added is Yoast SEO and Gravity Forms.

Active Plugins

Google Analytics Dashboard for WP: by Alin Marcu – 4.9.6.2
Gravity Forms: by Rocket Genius – 2.2.1.12
Jetpack by WordPress.com: by Automattic – 4.8.2
miniOrange SSO using SAML 2.0: by miniOrange – 4.8.23
Project Nami Blob Cache: by Patrick Bates, Spencer Cameron – 3.0
Project Nami Full Text Search: by Patrick Bates – 1.0
Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Hardening: by Sucuri, Inc – 1.8.3
SyntaxHighlighter Evolved: by Alex Mills (Viper007Bond) – 3.2.1
UpdraftPlus – Backup/Restore: by UpdraftPlus.Com, DavidAnderson – 1.12.40
Windows Azure Storage for WordPress: by 10up, Microsoft Open Technologies – 4.0.2
WP Mail SMTP: by WPForms – 0.10.1
Yoast SEO: by Team Yoast – 4.7

Network Active Plugins

Project Nami Full Text Search: by Patrick Bates – 1.0
SyntaxHighlighter Evolved: by Alex Mills (Viper007Bond) – 3.2.1
Jetpack by WordPress.com: by Automattic – 4.8.2
WP Mail SMTP: by WPForms – 0.10.1
Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Hardening: by Sucuri, Inc – 1.8.3
Yoast SEO: by Team Yoast – 4.7

Updated to Project Nami 1.4 (WordPress 4.6)

I updated my installation to PN 1.4 without issues (using some favorite lines of PowerShell). When updating Jetpack to the latest, 4.2.2, I did encounter an issue. I was getting an error similar to:

Warning: require_once(/somepath/jetpack/somefile.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

(Some old discussion: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/fatal-error-with-jetpack-293/ )

I tried via GUI a couple of re-installs, but finally it took a deletion of the jetpack plugin directory and a manual upload (thanks Webmatrix) of the latest download to resolve the issue.

Plugins and Multi-site Testing

Spent some time today bringing this site up to the latest WordPress 4.5.1 – easy deployment sync in Azure for this Project Nami based installation.

I also tried a few plugins unsuccessfully.

  • UpdraftPlus – backups site files, themes, contents just fine (to Dropbox), but failed on backing up the database (can understand this).
  • Wordfence – couldn’t get it to automatically load its free API. Word is to basically this is not even supported on Windows/IIS.

The next work entailed moving to a multi-site WordPress setup.

Steps (Webmatrix makes this easy):

  1. Edit your wp-config.php and add:
    Snippet

    /* Multisite */
    define('MULTISITE', true);
  1. Log back in to your site and hit the add a Network wizard.

If  you encounter an issue where your WP states you must use sub-domains (not possible on a free Azure site) you can use this great trick (assuming you’re OK with the possible issues):

Add this to the functions.php of your current theme:

add_filter( 'allow_subdirectory_install',
	create_function( '', 'return true;' )
	);
  1. Refresh your Network wizard page and you’ll get the option to use sub-directories.
  2. Complete the wizard and follow its remaining steps.